How Big is eCommerce in Brazil?
For the last four weeks, I’ve spoken with a lot of friends, colleagues and clients about the size and importance of eCommerce in Brazil. I decided to share some stats with you, in order to provide a better perspective about how big it is:
- 3% of total retail sales in Brazil will be eCommerce in 2016.
- The Brazilian eCommerce market is amongst the largest in the world. According to eMarketer, retail eCommerce sales in Brazil are ranked no. 10 worldwide.
- Returns in Brazil are very low – only 15.6% of customers in Brazil returned goods, 11.9% below the global average of 27.5%.
- Brazil is the largest eCommerce market in Latin America and it’s expected to remain so in the following years. The country represents more than half of the market with total sales expected to reach 22.46 billion USD in 2016, against 7.24 from Mexico, 6.85 from Argentina and 20.47 from all other countries from LATAM together.
- Brazil eCommerce sales points to 13.5% growth in 2016 compared with 2015.
Brazil is not only the biggest market in Latin America for macroeconomic reasons (population, economy, etc.), but also one of the most developed eCommerce markets.
- Average order value on 2015 Black Friday was 162.46 USD
- 12% of all orders were on mobile devices in 2015
- Population: 205.3 million
- Age Breakdown: 44.2% of the population in Brazil are between 25 and 54
- eCommerce Penetration: 33.7%
- Internet Penetration: 58.2%
- Mobile Penetration: 136.5 million subscribers
- Smartphone Penetration: 43.3%
- Digital Buyers: 41.1 million users
After doing this survey, I’m struck by how strong these numbers are. Brazil is passing through a crisis currently, but Brazil still has eCommerce stats that are growing year by year. This is very exciting for all of us and the reason why Aaxis Commerce now has an office in São Paulo to enhance our LATAM offering.
I’d love to hear your thoughts about Brazil 🙂
Latest posts by Rence Winetrout (see all)
- Oracle’s 2018 Markies Awards Finalists and Winners - April 11, 2018
- Forget Data Scientists And Hire A Data Translator Instead? - March 20, 2018
- A Customer-Obsessed Approach To Email Marketing - March 16, 2018